Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 53 - Friday Lunch

Yes, I know I have two "Day 53's" in a row, but I think I must have miscounted or skipped a day at some point. TODAY is the REAL day 53!!

There is a bit of a tradition at work that a bunch of people go out for lunch every Friday. I can never decide whether to go or not. Here are the pros and cons to going out for lunch:

Pros
1. Get to socialize with my coworkers
2. They don't think I'm a dud that gets really BORING whenever she's on a diet.
3. Don't have to come up with some lame excuse as to why I can't go (so I don't have to SAY I'm on a diet).
4. I am probably a bit overdue for a "splurge meal".

Cons
1. I generally only allow one "splurge" meal per week, and I would probably prefer to save it for the weekend (going to my Mom's for dinner on Sunday night).
2. There is probably no restaurant they could pick where I would enjoy the food as much as the lunch I have packed for myself (toasted bagel with Peanut Butter and Banana, a juicy peach, yoghurt and a granola bar).
3. I don't want the food that I packed for myself to go to waste.
4. Splurging on Fridays has in the past caused a weekend tailspin of binging.
5. It will be hard to count the calories.

There you go, that pretty much sums up my internal struggle. I'd love to go with them, but I'd rather eat my own lunch...

Anyway, I'll add an edit to this post later with an update on my decision...

I had a good meal day yesterday. I was planning barbequed scallops for dinner. Which I thought was a low calorie meal. But then I started planning all the side dishes. I was going to roast the potatoes and snap peas in olive oil, and everything started to add up to too much. So I ended up baking the potatoes and steaming the snap peas, and just adding a tsp of light butter to each at the end. The funniest part was, when all was said and done and I sat down after dinner to log everything, I ended up being LOW for the day, so I could have gone ahead and roasted everything in olive oil... oh well. So even though I had some extra calories for the day, I didn't eat them, because we finished dinner at 7:30 and I didn't get hungry for a snack before bed. Also, it was a planned rest day from exercise, so OK to be a little low...



UPDATE: I decided NOT to go our for lunch, and I ate my packed lunch (I feel good about my decision)...

No comments:

Post a Comment