Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 123 - Half Marathon

Well the culmination of 4 months of training is nearly upon me.... I run in my first half marathon on Sunday...

This week has been a challenge for me because, as part of a half-marathon training program you are supposed to "taper" in the week leading up to your race. That means you run less so that you are fresh and rested on race day. So, I only ran 7km on Sunday, 6 on Tuesday, 10 on Wednesday, and I'll try for a nice easy/slow 5 today. Monday, yesterday and tomorrow will be total rest days from exercise. These breaks are nice, but since this was also the first week that I have been trying to increase calories in maintenance the combination of more food AND less exercise has been making me nervous.

Once my race is over next week, I can run whenever I want, so all will be good!

I am going out to lunch after the race, and I am looking forward to relaxing and pretty much ordering what I want. A half marathon burns about 1200 calories at my weight and since I'm at maintenance now, I can eat most of those back...(1400+1200= 2600...that is going to be fun!!)

Yesterday was a good day eating wise, I made it 1400 (thanks to an evening snack) and I made a delicious dinner (pictured below).



3 comments:

  1. Dinner looks great! And that sure is a dandy little food spreadsheet you've got goin' on there. Good luck on race day and the enjoy post-race meal! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to hear all about your race !!! I want details you hear !? How about posting some before and after pics now that you have hit goal ? I know it is scarey (well it was for me) but I think it would be a great way to celebrate your accomplishment ! And what you've done is a huge accomplishment !

    Be careful with your post race lunch .....if your anything like me , since your body is not used to eating a lot of fat and calories, if you over do it you may feel sick ! It happens to me all the time ! Listen to your body and stop when your full, take the rest home and have it for lunch or something ! Or just buy some tums ....just in case !

    Have fun , whatever you do !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear about how well your race went. Will you post what you ate before hand, what you drank during the race, etc? I'm going to try and do a 10K in the spring (knee willing) so even though it's not as far as a half, I'm still curious!

    Take care and run the good race!

    ReplyDelete