Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 136 - Business Travel doesn't have to Spell Disaster

I was traveling on business yesterday... I flew to Toronto in the morning for a meeting and then back home for dinner. This usually means eating some dreadful meeting food (muffins, danishes, trays of sandwiches - sometimes good, sometimes not). But yesterday, my meeting was in an executive board room on the high floor of a bank head office and the food was incredible! Rather than buffet style, we were served our own individual plates of food with some assorted sandwiches and salads. I ate it all and it was delicious! I still consider it a good day because: (1) I ate breakfast at home and turned down the airplane breakfast, (2) I only took 2 cookies from the dessert tray and stopped there, (3) they were handing out packets of almonds and shortbread cookies on the plane on the way home, and I took 2 of each, but saved them in my purse! I'll give the cookies to the kids and divide the tamari almond packets into more reasonable servings sizes of about 150 calories each...

Before I left for the airport in the morning I put a big pot of black bean soup in the crockpot so we would have a nice light dinner waiting for us when I got home. I walked in the door at about 6:30... and the beans weren't cooked! They were still crunchy! I couldn't believe it, after all that time in the crock pot. I've made the recipe before, but this was the first time in a new crock pot, so maybe the low setting was lower?? I had been looking forward to the beans all day, and when I got home and they weren't ready, I had a panicky moment... what would we eat? I don't do well with no planning!!! I was REALLY tired from a long day of travelling and I *ALMOST* sent my husband out for takeout. But, I resisted and I threw together a quick back up of poached eggs on rye toast with tomato slices and sausage patties... It wasn't quite as low cal as the soup, but sure was better than Pizza Hut or KFC!!

No damage on the scale this morning! And the soup's back in the crock pot for tonight!

1 comment:

  1. You are exactly right about planning being so essential to staying on track - not just with the weight part, but with the healthy eating part as well.

    Great job on the trip as well!

    ReplyDelete