Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 161 - Did I Slip Up?

I'm up about one pound after the weekend... did I slip up? I don't really think so. I have to keep reminding myself, that I'm not actually on a DIET anymore...I can relax just a bit!

Remember the plan that I talked about on Friday for my Italian Restaurant meal? Well, I really did TRY to stick to it... and it kind of makes me angry when you do everything possible to order the healthiest meal, and then the waiter puts it down in front of you, and its covered in cheese, or has a cream sauce that wasn't mentioned on the menu!! I should probably start sending stuff like that back, but I don't like to be difficult... especially when we are out with other people.

First off, I ended up having a piece of bread from the bread basket... I hadn't intended to, but it's usually my favorite part of meal out and a treat that I THOUGHT would be OK... and it would have been, if the rest of my dinner had been what I was expecting!! I ordered the shrimp cocktail which on the menu said "traditional shrimp cocktail with horseradish sauce". I assumed I would get the red cocktail sauce they usually serve with this dish. I got a mayonnaise based sauce, and it was dumped over the shrimp and the lettuce, not served on the side for dipping. The seafood linguini was drizzle with oil - LOTS of it, I could tell... and I had one glass of red wine.

All in all it wasn't the end of the world. When we got home, my husband left to drive the sitter home, and I thought to myself... In the past, I would have gone and ate a whole bunch of crap/chocolate/peanut butter/cookies right now, since he's not here to see me, and I had already "messed the day up anyway"... but I didn't this time, I wasn't even tempted, and I consider that a small victory.

I was 2 lbs up Sunday morning, and 1 lb up this morning. I'm sure I'll even back out the rest of the week.

The thing that REALLY worries me about this experience is this: what does this mean for my 4 week trip to New Zealand in December?? I will be eating three meals a day in restaurants. When you have one bad meal a week in a restaurant, its not a big deal because you go back to your usual routine the next day, and it doesn't stay with you. But I won't have the opportunity to go back to my regular routine for a MONTH... and obviously even when I TRY to make the very best choices in restaurants, it doesn't always turn out as expected!!

Anyway...not a big deal this past weekend, but I am really stressed about New Zealand...

Here is what I ate yesterday (on Sunday)... I ate a little less than usual to compensate, and I ran a 10km (and shaved 10sec off my previous 10km race, I did it in 50:33).

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I absolutely LOVE the bread...I am nervous because my anniversary is coming up and we always go to Olive Garden. How can I go to Olive Garden and not order what I usually do? and not have the bread? and oily salad? So, I completely see where you're coming from. I'm the same way about not wanting to be difficult, but I'm learning that I need to be. I am reminding myself to ask up front all sorts of questions like "is that cooked in butter?". Maybe this experience was to prepare you better for your upcoming trip....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will be OK in New Zealand . Just keep meals as simple as possible and never finish them ! Plus, if you keep up with your running, as you plan to, it will all even out. I think breakfast and lunch are easier to lighten up anyway ! Something I need to practice is asking for what I want , and not worrying about being difficult ! We deserve to have what we are paying for made the way we want ! (easier said than done I know !) We should both make it a goal to practice it and not feel embarrassed about it ! It can be our pre-holiday challenge. At the moment I am working around the chalenge by not going out at all ! No fun ! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scale blips are nothing to worry about. It could be water weight from the sodium of eating out. Unless you really consumed an extra 3500 calories (which I doubt LOL).

    You'll be fine on your trip if you make a plan and stick to it at least 80%.

    ReplyDelete