Friday, October 9, 2009

Day 144 - Family Night Out

The last time I lost weight and successfully reached my goal, I decided that we would start having Family Night Out every Friday. The idea was that, since I was at goal, I could afford to go out to dinner once a week and have whatever I wanted. This was probably true, but what happened was that it used to turn into an entire weekend of overeating. I'd get back on track Monday, but by Monday I'd have to go back into "diet mode" to reverse the damage, and then the next weekend it would start all over again. Obviously, I gained the weight back.

So this time, when I reached my goal weight, my husband (very eagerly) asked if we were going to have Family Night Out again. Well, I feel sort of bad for depriving them, but I just don't think it's a good idea. I don't mind going out once in a while, but there always seems to be other things on (business trips, parties, weddings, dinners with friends) that cause mini splurges and to add ANOTHER regular night out each week might be more than I can handle. So, I said "no" to regular family night, but that we should look at each week as it comes and if there are no other occassions (and I'm maintaining my new weight OK), THEN we can go out for dinner.

And so... we are going out tonight! Yes, I know this weekend is Thanksgiving in Canada, but that's not really a splurge for me. I'm hosting my family this year, and it will be turkey (breast meat with no skin for me) with steamed vegetables (potato, carrots, cauliflower and brussel sprouts) and a light dessert (pumpkin mousse made with silken tofu)...so it's just a regular meal, really...

Tonight we are taking the kids to Mucho Burrito. This a mexican fast food chain (I think similar to Baja Fresh? in the States). A small chicken burrito is about 600 calories and 12 grams of fat. That should allow me to stay within my calories for the day no problem. I just hope the small fills me up (in the past I'd have ordered a medium for closer to 800 calories...)

Yesterday, I had smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel for lunch - it was really good (having it again today)...

1 comment:

  1. Good for you ! We also used to have a Friday night "date night" and I had to put a stop to it. It just didn't work for me. I try to make a date night at home instead where we eat together, (that give me control over the menu) and then watch a movie or play a game , anything to spend a few hours reconnecting, since that is what we used the dinners out for. I just have to do what works. The dinners out for me always lead to a bad weekend too !

    I am so glad you also ate "crap". I can't tell you how guilty I felt posting the Hamburger Helper last night ! I felt like a trader ! Good to know someone like you , who eats so healthy, is still speaking to me after my processed food crappy dinner !

    Have a great holiday !

    ReplyDelete