Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 98 - Dealing with Setbacks

One of the most challenging aspects of weight loss and weight management for me has always been dealing with setbacks. When I have setbacks, like I did this past week, I get mad... mad at the unfairness of "never being able to have any treats without gaining weight".

This is something that I am learning to deal with a little better. Overall, I had a good week last week. I ate on plan every single meal with the exception of TWO. My birthday dinner on Thursday night, and Friday night (I went out after work with coworkers and had three beers and an individual sized vegetarian pizza). Saturday and Sunday I was back on track. Sunday, I ate a little more than usual (1600 calories) but I did an 18km run (2 hours and 2 minutes of running!) in the morning, so I needed those extra calories.

This morning's weigh in? 135.0! Up 1.2 pounds from last Monday. CRAP!

I know I ate two REALLY REALLY bad dinners. But I was pretty honest when I estimated the calories (I logged 1100 for that pizza, to be on the safe side). But, even with bad factored in, last week my daily average calorie intake was 1788. Is that really enought to gain 1.2 lbs? Does that mean I can NEVER eat 1800 calories per day without gaining weight? Even with all my running? I ran 18km yesterday!! And I was still up 1.2lbs? Hello? Metabolism? Where are you? Have you deserted me in my time of need???

I could let myself get really upset about this. Or, I could just shrug it off and keep going. So, I'll maybe take an extra two weeks to get to my goal weight now... but really, where's the rush? This is a lifelong project.

1 comment:

  1. Your last sentence really is the most important one. It is a lifelong project, not just to get to the perfect "goal weight" but to maintain it for the rest of your life!

    That 1.2 pounds is most likely just normal water weight. It will disappear as fast as it came! Don't let it get you down!

    ReplyDelete