Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 88 - Goals

Having firm goals to work towards is one reason (I believe) that I am so good at losing weight, but not so good at keeping it off. When I have my eye on a stake in the ground (i.e. 130lbs) my motivation is high, and my success is measurable each week when I step on the scale.

This is part of the reason why I find weight maintenance to be such a challenge. What's my goal? Stay the same? That's not a fun goal! What will be my source of encouragement and motivation?

Maybe what I need to do is continue to set goals for myself. I need some goals that are measurable and which will provide me with a sense of accomplishment and encouragement.

I will have to try to come up with some goals that I can set for myself after I reach maintenance. Whatever I come up with won't have the "high" of stepping on the scale each week and seeing a drop. But, I have to learn to be encouraged and motivated by stepping on the scale and seeing "no gain" instead!

I ate well yesterday. For dinner I made a pork tenderloin that I stuffed with 2 wedges of laughing cow cheese, red onion and fresh basil, then I wrapped it with slices of proscuitto and tied it up. My husband barbequed it and it was delicious! Usually, I just serve myself 100g of meat at dinner, but it was too confusing with the added ingredients in the stuffing so I just added up all the calories of the recipe raw (437g raw pork, 2 wedges laughing cow, 4 slices proscuitto etc), and then weighed the entire cooked tenderloin (505g) and then measured myself 1/4 of it (125g). This might seem a little obsessive, but it really becomes routine to figure this stuff out (and I kind of enjoy doing it). My husband even knows when he's carving the meat, to carve mine right onto the scale, and sometimes when I am serving out my veggies I call out the amounts to him "81g carrots!" and he writes them down on my little notepad for me...

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of setting goals for maintenance too. I didn't consciouslly set maintenance goals during my 150 lbs weight loss journey, but there were certain things on my "to do" list - like swim, ride a bike, wear smaller clothes, etc.

    You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete