Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 93 - This Time Last Year

Let me talk a little about this time last year...

It was my birthday. I had just reached my goal weight (actually I was three pounds below my goal weight at 127). It was my birthday (did I mention that already?)

It all started the night before, when my Husband suggested that we go out for breakfast on my birthday as a treat. We'd drop the kids at daycare, have a nice quiet breakfast alone and go into work a bit late. Sure! Why not, that sounds like a treat I could tolerate now that I'd reached my goal weight (with a few buffer pounds to spare).

So we went out for breakfast. I ordered the hungry man special (HEY, it was my birthday!!) It was a full bacon, sausage and egg breakfast with homefries and french toast on the side. It was WAY too much food, but it was delicious and I fully enjoyed every single bite.

I went to work, and at some point in the morning, one of my coworkers suggested that they take me out for lunch to celebrate my birthday. Sure! That would be great, but they weren't free for lunch until about 1pm... I'm use to eating lunch as noon on the dot, so I better have a snack, right?? Besides, it's my birthday! So, I ran over to the coffee shop next door and I ordered a fresh cup of coffee and a raisin, cinnamon fritter... one of my absolute favorites (which I hadn't enjoyed in MONTHS and today is a right off anyway... right??). The fritter was huge - way too big for one person, but I ate it all and enjoyed every single bite.

For lunch, my co-workers took me to my favorite Lebanese greasy spoon. I ordered the combo plate with "extra sauce" (it was my birthday, blah blah). The combo plate consisted of a huge pile of greasy rice pilaf (seriously there was grease pooled under it), chicken and beef strips, a fattoush salad, pita bread, and garlic sauce (basically a full fat garlic mayo to dip everything into). Since I asked for extra sauce, I probably had around a 1/4 cup of mayo... it was delicious and I enjoyed every single bite...

For an afternoon snack I had come chocolate pecan bark that had been stashed in my desk drawer (it had been there for months, but I hadn't eaten it because I was being "good", I guess I should have thrown it out). I wasn't even close to hungry, but it was my birthday, and the day was already completely messed up!! Right?

Did I mention that we had dinner reservations for my special birthday dinner? Reservations that we had made a month in advance to go with my parents for a birthday treat at one of my favorite fancy italian restaurants?

Well by the time I left work at 4pm, I was feeling horrible. I was bloated and my tummy actually HURT! Our reservations were for 6:30pm...I was hoping that 2.5 hours would be enough time to work up my appetite a bit so I could eat my dinner! My new size 6 skirt that I planned to wear felt tight on my bloated belly... so I was uncomfortable the whole evening.

I didn't want to admit to any of my family about how much I had eaten that day (my husband only knew about the breakfast... and HE skipped lunch, because he was "still full at noon"... boy I wanted to punch him in the nose when he said that... but truthfully I was mad at myself, not at him)...

So, I ordered an appetizer (can't remember what), a full meal (veal gorgonzola), and tiramisu for dessert. I had to force most of it down, and I didn't enjoy ONE SINGLE BITE. I was in agony.

This was the beginning of the end... I was afraid to weigh myself after that, had a disastrous binge-filled business trip the very next week and by Christmas I had gained all my weigh back...

I am telling this story because tomorrow is my birthday and we are going out for my annual traditional birthday dinner to a fancy restaurant with my parents. This year, I resolve to do things differently....

Had a good day yesterday, and lifted weights for an hour and got in a fast 5km run...

1 comment:

  1. I could have written this post myself. Truly, I could have. Isn't it amazing that even though all throughout that day a year ago you knew you were uncomfortable, but you didn't put the brakes on!

    I wish I had the answer to why I used to do that. I'd probably be a millionaire!

    Thanks for sharing, and have a great birthday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete