Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 85 - How Much Should I Weigh?

This is something that I have been thinking about a lot lately. How much should I weigh? For me, it is a balance between having the body that I dream of and being realistically able to maintain it long-term.

Right now my BMI (22.1) is well within the healthy range. But, I've been in the healthy range since I hit about 150lbs, and I still felt too big at that weight. When I search "ideal weight" or "happy weight" on the internet, I usually get huge ranges, anywhere from 118 to 155. I can't imagine weighing 118, I think I would look very skinny (too skinny).

In the past, I have felt best about my appearance when I weigh about 130lbs (hence my goal weight). But I do wonder if that weight might be too hard to maintain. I've never managed to maintain it before, but to be REALLY honest with myself, I have never really stuck with maintenance. I have always reverted back to my old eating habits once I hit the goal weight... frankly I wouldn't be able to maintain any weight (130 or 140 or 150) eating the way I do when I'm being careless...

So, I am sticking with 130lbs as my goal, and when I hit it, I am going to switch my efforts to maintenance and try to figure out what my maintenance calories are. Right now, I'm averaging about 1390 per day, and I'm losing about 2lbs per week. So, I am going to increase this slowly, until I level off...

I had a good day yesterday. It was a much needed rest day from exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment