Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 16 - Routine

I don't know about anybody else, but I thrive off routine where my eating habits are concerned. I have a few "go to" meals that are healthy, that I love, and which I could happily eat each and everyday. And for the most part, I do. For breakfast and lunch, I have one or two meals that I rotate. Dinner is my chance to mix things up a bit (but I still have favorites for dinner too).

Today, I'll talk about lunch. I pack my lunch each evening to bring to work. At work we have access to a fridge, toaster, toaster oven and microwave. So, my options are many. Over time my lunch has evolved into a bit of a formula. A toasted sandwich of some sort, a piece of fruit, a fat free yoghurt and a granola bar. I usually aim for about 500 calories for my lunch. I have a huge selection of granola bars in my pantry, so depending on how calorie dense my sandwich, or fruit is, I will select a 90 calorie granola bar, or my all time favorite which is 140 calories.

For the sandwich, I have two options... 20g of peanut butter spread on a toasted whole wheat bagel (comes to about 260 calories)... or a sandwich made with mashed avocado spread on one side, a laughing cow wedge spread on the other, and tomato. I toast this in the toaster oven until it is melty and delicious (comes to about 270 calories). Sometimes I change up the bread. I use either a whole wheat flatbread (made for hamburgers) or regular whole wheat sandwich bread. On the weekends for a treat I will use sourdough bread and grill it (instead of toasting) with a little bit of cooking spray.

Here is a picture of my lunch yesterday:


And here is the recap of my whole day (I had some cream of wheat for breakfast that I cooked in almond milk and then added in mashed banana and a scoop of PB2 - it was delicious):

No comments:

Post a Comment