Monday, May 25, 2009

My First Post

Just in case there aren't enough fitness, diet and weight loss blogs out there.... I thought I'd throw another one into the mix.

I am primarily just interested in keeping a journal of my progress because (frankly) I've tried everything else. Maybe keeping a blog will help with accountability and motivation.

My story is pretty typical. I have lost and regained the same 24-40 pounds so many times, I wouldn't even be able to figure out how many diets I've started, how many times I've celebrated reaching the magical "goal weight", and how many times I've watched those numbers start to climb back up until I'm right back where I started (or a few pounds even worse off).

I won't bore you with all of the stories, but I will say that I have never gone on any specific diet, I usually accomplish my weight loss through a simple formula: decreased calorie intake and increased physical activity. This works well. Trust me, I am a PRO at losing weight. It's after I lose it that the trouble starts. In fact, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I will reach my goal weight successfully, sometime next fall. This time, however, I have to do something to make sure the change is permanent. I can't think of one other thing that I could do differently, except keep this blog up to date...

I already workout. I see a personal trainer twice a week for 1 hour to do strength training. In addition, I do cardio 2-3 times per week. Right now for cardio, I have joined a learn to run program and am hoping to do a 5km run at the beginning of July.

I keep a food journal. I pretty much always have. Sometimes on-line, sometimes in a little notebook that I carry around with me. Over the years, I have become very aware of the nutritional profiles of most common foods (and so I can't claim ignorance for my numerous relapses). I know what healthy eating looks like, and I can often go for long periods with no upsets, but then something will happen - an event, a party, a special dinner out, a night at home alone - and everything will fall apart. Instead of just picking up where I've left off the next day (with probably no harm done) I spiral out of control for weeks eating everything in my path. It's startling how quickly you can gain 20 pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment